Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


13.6.13
  The Castles, Part 2 - Other Castles I Visited

Here's a sneak peek into the other castles I visited this time.

Richmond Castle is one of the oldest Norman castles of which parts still remain.

Richmond Castle, the keep

Quite substantial parts, as you can see. Richmond Castle was the kernel of the large Honour of Richmond that would play a significant role in history.

Richmond Castle, view towards Scollard's Hall and Gold Hole Tower, with the Fallen Tower to the left

Warkworth is another of the Percy of Northumberland castles. They kept collecting those. :-)

Warkworth Castle, the keep seen through the gate of the Lion Tower

It's a beautiful, picturesque ruin I enjoyed very much.

Warkworth Castle, view from the keep to the eastern hall range

The famous Bamburgh Castle. I could not get the seaside view you find on every book cover about Northumbria, but I got some decent pics nevertheless.

Bamburgh Castle, seen from the land side

Bamburgh has been rebuilt in Victorian times, and I must admit that some of the architecture jars a bit. The Wartburg reconstruction is more in style, imho.

Bamburgh Castle, the Keep (one of the original Medieaval buildings)

A cliff, a knife edge way that's closed to the public, and lots of stairs down one hill and up the other. Constance may try her best with Dunottar Castle, hehe.

Dunottar Castle, sitting on a cliff

Did I say: stairs, lol? And those likely weren't around in former times.

Dunottar Castle, the way up along the outer curtain wall

I visited Urquhart Castle in 1998, but I wanted to go back with a digital camera since I had fond memories of the place.

Urquhart Castle, view to 14th century keep and gatehouse

There is a new visitor centre now, and lots more tourists. Just well they start getting dinner-hungry long before the castle closes.

Urquhart Castle, view to the 12th century part of the castle

So a nice booty overall; enough for a score of posts. Like I have no other stuff in my archives. *grin*
 
Comments:
Warkworth and Bamburgh- must visit both one day :-)

The House of Percy- what a family!
 
Some castles you got to just let go. :) I'll siege something easier, thank you.

 
Kasia, the Percys surely were a handful. :-)

Constance, I thought you might feel that way. :-P
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction and Fantasy living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter